- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/witch-s-finger-cookies-for-halloween
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Witch's Finger Cookies. These tasty tender cookies look like fingers -- the red almond fingernail really sets them apart.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds
- red food coloring, preferably paste type
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla, beat in dry ingredients. Cover and refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- If you want to paint the nails first, use some red food coloring that\'s been diluted with water and brush on with a clean artist\'s brush.
- Working with one-quarter of the dough at a time and keeping remaining dough refrigerated, roll heaping teaspoons full of dough into finger shape for each cookie. Press an almond firmly into one end for nail. Squeeze in center to create a knuckle shape and use a paring knife make slashes in several places to form knuckle.
- Place cookies on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until pale golden. Let cool for three minutes. If desired, lift up almond and squeeze red decorator gel onto nail bed and press almond back in place so gel oozes out from underneath.
- Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Note: Make cookies smaller than you think they need to be, as they spread when cooking. Our witch has fat fingers because we didn\'t heed our own advice.