- Recipe created by FabFood on Jan 19, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/williams-sonoma-s-lentil-bacon-and-frisee-salad
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 shallots, 1 sliced and 2 minced
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 cups dried French lentils
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch frisee, tough stems removed
- 15 Minutes Hands-On Time
- 1. Make the vinaigrette and cook the bacon – In a blender, combine the garlic, sliced shallot, vinegar, mustard oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Process until smooth. (You will have more vinaigrette than you will need for the lentil salad; store the remainder in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.) In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 2. Cook the lentils – Return the saucepan to low heat, add the minced shallots to the bacon fat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the celery and the carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the lentils, stock, and enough water to cover, and simmer gently until just tender but not mushy, about 20 minutes. Add a little more water if the lentils become too dry. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Immediately add half the vinaigrette and toss to combine.
- 3. Assemble the salad – Scatter the frisee on plates and spoon the lentils over the top. Drizzle a little vinaigrette over the salads, sprinkle with the bacon, and serve.