- Recipe created by FabFood on Jan 19, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/williams-sonoma-s-curried-chickpea-and-potato-stew
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 yellow onion, slightly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small red or green jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 tablespoons corn or peanut oil
- 2 large boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 pound okra, fresh or frozen, trimmed and thickly sliced, optional
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- steamed rice for serving
- 15 Minutes Hands-On Time
- 1. Prepare the curry base – In a blender, combine 1 tablespoon water with the onion, ginger, garlic, and chile and process until a paste forms. In a small bowl, stir together the curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2. Sauté the vegetables – Heat a large frying pan over high heat until very hot and add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the potatoes and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and, using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl. Return the pan to high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the okra, if using, and sauté until slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the okra to the bowl with the potatoes.
- 3. Cook the stew – Return the pan to medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the onion-garlic paste and fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Return the vegetables to the pan and add the chickpeas. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt. Serve with rice.