- Recipe created by FabFood on Nov 3, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/walnut-faux-cream-of-mushroom-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Walnut Faux-Cream of Mushroom Soup. Walnuts pureed with nonfat milk give this soup a thick, creamy consistency.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (combination of crimini, shitake and button mushrooms, sliced)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 can (14 ounces) regular strength chicken stock or equivalent homemade
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk or plain soymilk
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat oil in a 3-4 quart size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots. Cook 5 minutes or until softened, stirring several times. Add stock and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place walnuts and milk in food processor or blender. Whirl until walnuts are completely blended with milk and nearly smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture. simmer over medium-low heat stirring frequently until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve with freshly cracked black pepper.
- Nutrition information per serving: 290 calories, 23g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 460mg sodium, 16g total carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 10g protein.