- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/virginia-real-whiskey-apple-pie
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Virginia Real Whiskey Apple Pie. This recipe is from the good ol' days.
- 2 cups tart green apples (such as Pippin, Cortland, Greening or Granny Smith), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup good bourbon whiskey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pastry for a single crust 9-inch pie (see features links below)
- In a saucepan, cook apple slices with water until tender. Beat with brown sugar and butter. Cool. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Stir into apple mixture. Stir in whiskey, cream and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, Beat egg whites to soft peaks and fold into apple mixture. Drizzle in a little more whiskey if desired.
- Line a pie plate with pastry, pour in filling and bake 8-10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325° F. and bake another 30 minutes. Filling should be set.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream.