- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Vegetable Packed Chicken Pot Pie. This healthy recipe is a great way to introduce new vegetables to kids, although adults will love it too.
- 1 recipe olive oil pastry, click this link for recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium potato , peeled and cut into medium sized cubes
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1 large celery stalk , sliced
- 2 small carrots , peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 small sweet potato , peeled and cut into medium sized cubes
- 1 medium turnip , peeled and cut into small cubes
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into small strips
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated skim milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Make the olive oil pastry following instructions in the recipe at this link.
- Cut the pastry dough into quarters. Place the quarters of pastry dough between two sheets of plastic wrap or in the center of 4 large plastic bags. Flatten the dough, then, making circular motions with the palm of your hand, spread the dough evenly to form 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick circles large enough to cover the tops of an 8 ounce ramekin. Put the dough circles in the refrigerator for at least 5 minutes - this will make it easier to peel the plastic wrap from the dough.
To make the filling
- In a large nonstick or heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion over medium heat until limp but not browned. Add the celery and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes more. Pour the chicken stock into the pan and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat so that the mixture simmers. Add the potatoes, sweet potato, and turnip and cook, covered, until the vegetables are just cooked but still slightly firm, about 15 minutes depending on the size of the cut vegetables. Strain the broth from the vegetables and place the broth back in the saucepan.
- Divide the vegetables between the 4 ramekins.
- Add the chicken to the broth and simmer until the chicken is just barely cooked through. Dilute the cornstarch in 1/2 cup evaporated skim milk and stir until well combined. Add cornstarch mixture to saucepan. While stirring, bring to a full boil for 4 minutes to cook the starch and thicken the sauce. Remove from heat, stir in the parsley and peas and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the chicken and thickened broth between the vegetable filled ramekins. peel the plastic wrap off the chilled circles of dough and place one over each filled ramekin. Press to form a tight seal. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and brush the crust surface with the remaining evaporated milk.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.