- Recipe created by FabFood on Feb 26, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/vegan-southwestern-corn-pudding
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Vegan Southwestern Corn Pudding. This intensely flavorful, velvety side dish is the perfect accompaniment to any Southwestern meal
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 cups fresh corn (about 6 ears)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped finely
- 2 jalapeños, chopped finely
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8-inch square baking or casserole dish. A cast-iron pan would work here too (in fact, to cut down on dishes, you can saute the corn in a cast iron pan and later use it to bake the batter).
- Saute the corn, bell pepper, and jalapeños in a large skillet for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, the corn should be very lightly browned. Meanwhile, stir together the cornstarch and coconut milk until the cornstarch has mostly dissolved.
- When the corn and the peppers are ready, transfer 2 cups of them to a blender or food processor. Add the coconut milk and cornstarch mixture, and pulse about 20 times, until the mixture is mostly pureed but not completely smooth.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mix with the remaining corn, cornmeal, maple syrup, scallions, cilantro, salt, and cayenne.
- Pour the batter into a baking dish (or your cast-iron pan) and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.