- Recipe created by FabFood on Jun 5, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/vegan-cherry-chip-brownies
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1?2 cup packed pitted dates
- 1?2 cup packed pitted dried plums
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1?3 cup carob powder (or cocoa powder)
- 11?2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1?2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2?3 cup maple syrup
- 1?4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3?4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1?4 cup vegan carob (or vegan chocolate chips)
- 1?2 cup dried pitted cherries
- Makes one 9 x 9-inch pan, about 16 brownies
- Place the dates and dried plums into a small saucepan and cover with 11?2 cups water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 minute, then remove from heat, cover, and let the dried fruit soak while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Sift or whisk together the barley flour, brown rice flour, carob powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Place the maple syrup, canola oil, vanilla, and the date, dried plum, and water mixture into a blender. Process until completely smooth. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir together until well combined. Fold in the walnuts, carob chips, and dried cherries.
- Spread the mixture out in the baking pan. Smooth the top using a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, until the surface springs back to the touch.