- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/vampire-bats-halloween-mashed-potatoes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Vampire Bats Halloween Mashed Potatoes. This clever Halloween potato recipe is from the Idaho Potato Commission.
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- neon purple liquid food coloring
- 8 kernels frozen corn
- 2 pimiento pieces
- Prepare mashed potatoes using your favorite recipe, or click here for ours.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the food coloring to the potatoes a few drops at a time, stirring to combine. Add more coloring to achieve the desired shade of purple.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the potatoes onto the center of each of 4 microwave-safe plates. With clean, damp fingers, shape each scoop of potatoes into a vertical rectangle about 1 1/2 X 3 1/2-inches, forming the bodies of the bats. Spoon remaining potatoes into a plastic, zip-top sandwich bag; press out the air and zip it closed. Snip one-half inch off of one corner at the bottom of the bag. By squeezing the potatoes out of the hole in the bag, pipe a 5-inch wide, shallow, inverted "V" on each side of the rectangle bat body to form the top of the bat's wings. Then pipe a wide "W" to form the underside of the wings. Squeeze some potatoes in the center of the wing and spread with a small spatula to fill them in.
- To finish, create ears on the top of the body with two corn kernels; use a small piece of red pimiento for the bat's mouth. Repeat with the remaining potatoes on three additional plates to make a total of four bats.
- Reheat the bats in the microwave and serve.