- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/traditional-mashed-potatoes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (about 5 cups)
- 3/4 cup hot milk (1%, 2%, or whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- Optional Add-Ins:
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley or dill
- Place potatoes in large pot and add enough water to cover potatoes. Cook 13 to 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain potatoes in colander.
- Return cooked potatoes to pot and stir over medium heat, about 1 minute, until excess water has evaporated.
- With potato masher, mash in hot milk, butter, salt and pepper. Beat with wooden spoon until potatoes are smooth and creamy. Stir in any optional add-ins, if desired.