- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 4-8 servings
There are multiple recipes for tomato-based bruschetta topping. This is my interpretation, and in the summer it graces my dinner table almost every day. It has won more compliments than any other appetizer I make, and even guests who do not like tomatoes cannot stop eating it.
Reprinted with permission from The Puglian Cookbook by Viktorija Todorovska, photos by Michael Potts, Agate Surrey, 2011.
- 16 ounces ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 thick slices crusty white bread, halved and toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Combine the tomatoes and onion and season with the salt, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Spoon this mixture onto the toasted bread, sprinkle with the basil, and serve.