- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 28, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/tomato-and-basil-flatbread
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Tomato and Basil Flatbread Recipe perfect for a quick snack, entertaining or a starter.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 to 6 ripe plum tomatoes, sliced thin and pressed between paper towels to remove excess moisture
- 2 cups good quality mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Premade pizza dough
- Before baking, place the baking stone onto the bottom rack of the oven for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Place the dough on a floured countertop and roll or pat into a 12- to 14-inch disk. Using your fingers, press from center outwards to stretch it out, turning the dough a bit on each push, dusting with flour as needed.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onions to oil and cook about 10 minutes, or until onions are soft; add garlic and cook a minute longer; season with salt and black pepper. Place sliced tomatoes on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- To assemble flatbread: Spread cooked onions evenly on dough; spread mozzarella on top of onions, then sprinkle fresh basil over mozzarella. Cover with tomato slices, arranging to cover as evenly as possible. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil. Slide dough onto stone and bake 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and crust golden, remove from oven. Slice into wedges and serve warm or room temperature.