- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6, 6-inch pita breads, cut into eighths, toasted
- Toast walnuts in 350ºF oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine toasted walnuts with oil and garlic and puree in food processor or blender until smooth. Add chickpeas, orange zest, orange juice, salt and pepper and continue to blend to an even, smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hummus in small serving bowl alongside toasted whole grain crackers and carrot strips.
- Makes 2 cups 24 Servings Nutrition information per serving (hummus without bread): calories 93, fat 4 g, saturated fat 0, protein 3 g, carbohydrate 13 g, cholesterol 0 mg, fiber 1 g.