- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Swiss Cheese Soup. The consistency of this soup is smooth and velvety. The beer and the sherry add much to the aroma and flavor.
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into pieces, about 4 to 6 slices
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced, about 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup chicken soup base
- 7 cups milk divided into 6 cups and 1 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pound Swiss cheese, shredded, about 2 cups
- 1 can (12 ounces) beer
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh chives, chopped
- Serves 6 to 8
- Preparation Time About 1 Hour
- 1. Cook the bacon pieces in a skillet over medium high heat until crisp.
- 2. Add the onions and cook until they are soft but not brown. Drain off the fat.
- 3. Add the chicken stock to the skillet and stir for several minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside. SIMPLE SHORTCUT: Chicken soup base is a concentrated form of chicken bouillon. It can be found in most supermarkets. One jar will last a long time. Substitute with chicken bouillon dissolved in a small amount of water.
- 4. Pour 6 cups of milk, the hot pepper sauce and the Worcestershire sauce into a large pot. Stir over medium high heat.
- 5. Add the bacon and onion mixture to the milk and stir.
- 6. Mix the remaining 1 cup of milk with the cornstarch and add to the hot milk.
- 7. Stir the soup until it begins to thicken.
- 8. Add the cheese and the beer stirring constantly.
- 9. Remove the onion and bacon pieces with a slotted spoon (or strain the soup through a colander), when the cheese is completely melted.
- 10. Add the sherry into the strained soup. Season with nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat for 5 - 10 minutes.