- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/stuffed-tomatoes-with-vegetables-and-rice
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 6 large fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh, white mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup quick cooking rice
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe. Cut a slice from the top of each tomato, remove pulp leaving a 1/4-inch thick shell, set aside.
- Chop tomato pulp (makes about 3-1/2 cups). In a large skillet over high heat, heat oil until hot. Add onions and mushrooms and cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach, Chopped tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Cook, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Stir in rice. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Place tomato shells in 13 x 9 x 2" baking pan. Spoon hot mixture into shells, dividing evenly. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon Parmesan on top of each. Bake until tomatoes are hot and filling is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or pork or as a main dish.