- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 22, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/spinach-and-cheese-souffle
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
A classic, but delicious veggie and cheese Souffle perfect for any meal of the day.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-12 ounce bag of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1&1/2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-quart soufflé dish with butter.
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and cook about three minutes until softened and translucent. Add spinach and stir two minutes or until wilted. Let cool. Squeeze out excess liquid and chop.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter and whisk in the flour to combine. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly, to combine. Bring to a boil and cook two minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, mustard, and pepper to combine. Transfer to a medium large bowl.
- Beat egg whites to firm peaks. Stir 1/3 of the whites into the cheese mixture. In two additions, fold in the remaining whites.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes until wooden skewer one-inch from the edge comes out clean and soufflé is fully raised. Serve immediately.