- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 can (15ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup low-fat (2%) milk
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 cups (about 7ounces) tortilla chips, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
- In blender or food processor, process beans, milk, egg whites and 2 tablespoons of the cilantro or parsley, until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat, add onion, peppers, vegetable stock, garlic and green chiles; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining cilantro or parsley.
- Place 1-1/2 cups of chopped tortilla chips in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole. Pour bean mixture over chips. Spread vegetable mixture over bean mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Add remaining chips and top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown. Serve with salsa (recipe links below), if desired.
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch 1 Veg 1 Protein 2 Fat