- Recipe created by FabFood on Sep 15, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/spiced-walnut-cake-with-maple-cream
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1,18.25-ounce box spice cake mix, Betty Crocker®
- 1 1/3 cups whole buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1,16-ounce container white frosting, Pillsbury®
- Garnish: food-safe fresh flowers and kumquats
- 1, 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed, Cool Whip®
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup fluted pan with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, oil, and 1 tablespoon maple syrup; beat at low speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 38 to 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack (about 45 minutes).
- Place a wire rack in an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking pan. Place cake on wire rack. Microwave frosting for 20 seconds, and stir; repeat at 20-second intervals until frosting is pouring consistency. Slowly pour frosting evenly over cake on wire rack. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until set. Garnish with flowers and kumquats, if desired.
- In a bowl, gently stir together whipped topping and remaining 1 tablespoon syrup. Serve with cake, and sprinkle with nutmeg, if desired.