- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Spiced Apple and Pomegranate Pie. Pomegranates bring out the flavor of apples in this fabulous pie.
- For the Pastry
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground spices(cinnamon and cloves)
- 4 tablespoon cold butter,cubed
- 1 organic egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar for sprinkling on pastry
- For the Filling
- 2 medium apples,peel and sliced
- 1/2 cup POM Wonderful fresh pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white,lightly beaten
- Make the pastry dough
- Sift the flours and spice in to a mixing bowl.Rub in the butter using a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 1/4 cup cold water and add to the flour.Mix to form a soft dough,add few more drops of water if needed.Gather dough in to a small ball;cover and keep in fridge for at least 30 minutes
- Roll and bake the pastry
- Preheat Oven to 375ºF.Combine sugar and cinnamon ,reserve some for sprinkling and mix the rest with the sliced apples and pomegranate arils.
- Roll the dough on baking sheet to make a round about 10 inches round and brush all over with some of the egg white.
- Pile the fruit mixture in the middle of the pastry,the draw the edges up over the fruits,leaving the center open. brush the center with some more of the egg white and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar.Sprinkle the raw sugar on the pastry.
- bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and the apples are tender.Slice and serve with dollop of strawberry yogurt,if liked.