- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 27, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/southwest-chicken-barley-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 8 cups defatted chicken stock
- 1/2 cup unhulled barley
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely sliced
- 1 large onion, coarsely sliced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 6 ounces spinach, or 5 leaves kale, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 cups cooked chicken or poached chicken
- 1 pound firm organic tofu, drained and broken up, or 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup sliced crookneck squash - 1 squash
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil, or cilantro leaves
- 1 Haas avocado, sliced and chopped
- 3 key limes, halved
- In a heavy soup pot, pour in the chicken stock, then add barley and celery to stock. Bring to a boil, turn the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add carrots and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add onions, tomatoes, kale (if you replace this with spinach, don’t add it now), chicken and tofu or pinto beans. Simmer on low for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place squash and spinach (if using spinach) in individual soup bowls. Ladle hot soup over the vegetables ad sprinkle with basil or cilantro. Top with avocados and squeeze lime juice over avocados.
- Calories per Serving 323; total fat 11g; saturated fat 2g; calories from fat 96; protein 27 g; carbohydrates 32g; dietary fiber 8g; sugars 6g.