- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/south-beach-diet-tempeh-dagwood-sandwich
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package soy tempeh
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2 slices multigrain bread, lightly toasted
- 1 ounce shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (3 tablespoons)
- 1/4 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 slices tomato
- Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, and garlic in a shallow bowl. Add tempeh and marinate for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through. Spray a medium nonstick skillet with fat-free cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add tempeh, reserving marinade, and cook until well browned, 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, add 2 tablespoons of the marinade to the pan, and flip tempeh once or twice until marinade is absorbed. Spread mayonnaise on 1 bread slice. Place tempeh on top and cover with cheese, avocado, and tomato. Top with remaining bread, gently press down, slice in half, and serve.
- Per serving: 450 calories, 19 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 37 g protein, 38 g carbohydrate, 16 g dietary fiber, 860 mg sodium.