- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/south-beach-diet-chicken-paella
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole-grain, quick-cooking brown rice
- 3/4 cup roasted red bell peppers , drained and thinly sliced
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered saffron 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Makes 4 (1 1/2-cup) Servings
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, straight-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in rice. Add red peppers, broth, and saffron; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. If paella has excess moisture, cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.
- Per serving: 360 calories, 7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 45 g protein, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g dietary fiber, 440 mg sodium.