- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 27, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/sopa-de-elote-corn-soup
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels, cut and scraped from 5 or 6 ears of corn OR 2 packages (10 ounce each) frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 6 tablespoons shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips and fried crisp
- Combine corn and 1 cup of the milk in a blender. Puree at high speed until smooth; set aside.
- In a heavy, 3 quart, nonreactive stock pot, heat the butter over medium heat until melted and bubbly. Add the corn , puree and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the remaining 3 1/2 cups milk and the salt; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring to avoid stocking. In each of 6 warm sop bowls, put 1 tablespoon each of the diced chiles and shredded cheese. Ladle the hot soup into the bowls and garnish with a few tortilla strips.