- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/slow-cooker-italian-pot-roast
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 allspice berries
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds beef pot roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup hearty red wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the meat and cook, turning, for 10-15 minutes, until browned on all sides. Using tongs, transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add the onion to the sauté pan and sauté, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the spice mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Add the red wine and cook for about 10 minutes, until reduced by about one-third. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the meat in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours, until the meat falls away from the bone. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
- To Drink:
- A full-bodied Barbera from the Piedmont region, from Pio Cesare or Renato Ratti. A domestic Barbera would also work, such as one from Louis Martini.