- Recipe created by FabFood on Feb 5, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/slow-cooker-candied-sweet-potatoes-with-pecans
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1. If the potatoes are large, cut them lengthwise in half. Slice them 3/8 inch thick. Place the sweet potato slices in a 5-quart electric slow cooker.
- 2. In a glass bowl or large glass measuring cup, melt the butter in a microwave oven on high power for 30 to 60 seconds. Or melt in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in the brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, cinnamon, and 3/4 cup of the toasted pecans. Mix well.
- 3. Pour the orange pecan butter over the sweet potatoes and toss gently but thoroughly to coat the slices. 4. Cover and cook on the low heat setting for 7 to 7 ½ hours, or on the high heat setting for 3 1/2 and 3 3/4 hours, until sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Serve with the remaining 1/4 cup pecans on top.
- Cook's Notes
- When grating orange or lemon zest, keep in mind you only want the colored outer part of the peel, with none of the bitter white pith inside.
- If marshmallows are a must with your sweet potatoes, after cooking, sprinkle 3/4 to 1 cup miniature marshmallows around the edge of the pot. Cover and let melt for a minute or two.