- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/slow-cooker-black-bean-and-mushroom-chili
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Slow-Cooker Black Bean-Mushroom Chili. A subtle layering of spices combine to give this full-bodied vegetarian chili a deep complexity of flavor.
- 1 pound dried black beans (2 1/2 cups), picked over and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds or ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds or ground cardamom
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed and sliced (4 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 1/2 cups mushroom broth or vegetable broth, homemade or canned
- 1 can (6-ounce) tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 1/4 cups grated Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Makes 10 servings, generous 1 cup each.
- 1. Soak beans overnight in 2 quarts water. (Alternatively, place beans and 2 quarts water in a large pot. Bring to a boil. boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hour.) Drain beans, discarding soaking liquid.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine oil, mustard seeds, chili powder, cumin and cardamom in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Place over high heat and stir until the spices sizzle, about 30 seconds. Add onions, mushrooms, tomatillos and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are juicy, 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover and stir often until the juices evaporate and the vegetables are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste and chipotles (with sauce); mix well.
- 3. Place the beans in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Pour the hot mixture over the beans. Turn heat to high. Put the lid on and cook until the beans are creamy to bite, 5 to 8 hours.
- 4. To serve, ladle the chili into bowls. Garnish each serving with cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cilantro. Pass lime wedges at the table.
- Per Serving: 310 Calories; 10 g Fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 20 mg Cholesterol; 40 g Carbohydrate; 18 g Protein; 13 g Fiber; 414 mg Sodium. Nutrition Bonus: 53% DV Fiber, 187 mcg Folate (47% DV), 743 mg Potassium (37% DV), 4 mg Iron (25% DV).
- *Stovetop Method: In Step 2, increase broth to 8 1/2 cups. Omit Step 3. Add the beans to the Dutch oven; cover and simmer the chili gently over low heat, stirring occasionally, until beans are creamy to bite, about 3 hours.