- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Steak Mary Anne. This recipe is a favorite at Shula's On The Beach Steak House in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- Butter Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups strong beef boullion (4 boullion cubes dissolved in 3 cups hot water)
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 beef fillets (5 ounces each), tenderloin steaks just under 1 1/2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To make the sauce
- Melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a heavy 2 1/3 - 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté about 2 minutes or until soft but not browned. Add the heavy cream and boullion, bring to a simmer, lower the heat and reduce by half, stirring occasionally. Mix the flour with the water and whisk into the simmering sauce. Let it cook until slightly thickened. Stir in the peppercorns. Whisk in the mustard and the remaining 4 teaspoons of butter, a teaspoon at a time. Add salt and pepper. Keep warm while finishing the fillets.
- To cook the steaks Trim the fillets and dust lightly on both sides with flour. In a heavy skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Sear the steaks for about 3-4 minutes per side or until well browned and done to a medium rare state. You can insert an instant reading meat thermometer horizontally into the center of a steak to make sure the temperature reads 145 - 150°F.
- To serve Place steaks on warmed serving dishes. Cover and surround with butter sauce.