- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Casseroles are such an inviting 'Welcome Home' on cold winter nights. Serve the family a treat which will have them asking for second helpings and possibly even thirds.
- 1 Swede around 225g (8oz) in size
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 – 3 turnips around 225 g (8oz) in size
- Knob of butter 75g (3oz)
- 225g (8oz) carrots scrubbed and sliced into chunks
- 2 leeks washed and sliced
- 460 ml (3/4 pint) dry cider
- Plain flour 40g (1½ oz)
- 11/2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 11/2 teaspoons yeast extract
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450g (1ib) potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- 75g (3oz) strong Cheddar cheese
- 1. Slice and cut the turnips and swede into cubes.
- 2. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the leeks, onions, carrots, turnip and swede.
- 3. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- 4. Make a paste by pouring the flour into a saucepan and adding small amount of cider as you stir continuously.
- 5. Bring the paste to the boil and add the tomato puree, seasoning and yeast extract. Pour this sauce over the vegetables and place the sliced potatoes on top. Brush the potato slices with olive oil and cover with the grated cheese.
- 6. Cover the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 1½ hours at 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6. Then remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes or until the top has formed a golden brown glow.