- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 cup red lentils, cleaned and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 8 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 spanish onion, diced
- 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons Garam Masala, or curry powder (to taste)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic (optional, to taste)
- 2 tablespoonsful chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweeted coconut
- Soak rice and lentils overnight, drain and rinse. This cuts down on the amount of cooking time and improves digestability of the lentils.
- Bring rice and lentils to a rapid simmer in a large saucepan. Time 1 hour. If soup seems too thick, add boiling water as needed. Continue cooking while you saute the onion, garlic and cilantro in the olive oil in a large skillet. When the onion becomes transleucent, add the Garam Masala. Stir in the coconut and continue sautéeing until the coconut begins to brown. Transfer contents of skillet to the lentil-rice mixture and stir. Adjust seasoning to taste. Continue cooking 20 minutes.
- Serve with flatbread and mango chutney if desired.