- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Roasted Rack of Lamb with Sweet Pimientos and Black Olive Sauce. This Provencal recipe is from chef Alain Giraud, formerly of Santa Monica's Lavande.
- 4 racks of lamb
- 1 cup regular olive oil
- 1 branch thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 32 asparagus tips
- 8 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- For the Sauce:
- 2 ounces black olives, pitted, chopped, pits reserved
- 1 ounces diced bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- 1 celery branch
- 2 star anise
- 2 tablespoons anise seeds
- 1/4 cup pastis (liqueur)
- 2 cups veal stock
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- Marinate the rack of lamb for 1 or 2 days before with the 1 cup regular olive oil, thyme and garlic.
- Clean and take the skin off the peppers (you can do this easily by blanching them first). Cut off top 1/8 and clean out the pepper. Set aside.
- Make the olive sauce by first sauteÃ©ing the bacon in 1/4 cup olive oil until limp. Add the diced onions, fennel and celery and sautÃ© until nicely browned. Add the black olive pits and flambÃ© with the pastis. Add the star anise, anise seeds, and the veal and chicken stocks. Simmer for 1/2 hour. Process the pitted black olives in a blender or food processor until smooth, adding 1/4 cup virgin olive oil to make a mousse-like mixture. Add the black olive puree to the sauce. Reduce a little and add some black pepper but no salt, the olives are already very salty.
- Peel and cook the 2 potatoes in boiling water. Mash and add the 2 tablespoons chopped olives and olive oil. With a pastry bag, stuff the red peppers delicately. Reserve on a parchment paper covered tray.
- Place rack of lamb on a cooking pan and cook for about 10 minutes on each side. Let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Cook the asparagus in salted boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet. Coat cooked asparagus with melted butter.
- Slice each rack of lamb in two. Spoon olive sauce on the bottom of the plate. Place lamb on top. Warm the stuffed potatoes in the oven and place on plate with lamb, add the asparagus tips and decorate with rosemary sprigs.