- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/roasted-pumpkin-risotto
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 firm Kabocha squash (Japanese Pumpkin)
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 - 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock, well heated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Carefully cut the kabocha in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Season each half with salt and pepper before placing in the oven. Roast for 30-45 minutes on a baking sheet. When cooled, scoop out flesh and reserve.
- Cook the risotto: In a medium sized, heavy sauce pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute the onion to soften (2-3 minutes). Add the arborio rice and coat well with the oil while stirring. Over medium-high heat, add the white wine and begin to add the 6-7 cups of stock, a cup at a time, adding more as the rice absorbs it. Cook, stirring constantly, for 15-20 minutes or until the risotto is "al dente." When ready to serve, finish by adding the kabocha, butter, parsley and Parmesan. The risotto should be smooth and shiny.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to obtain best results, the stock added to risotto should always be hot before it is added.