- Recipe created by FabFood on Mar 27, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/roasted-five-spice-chili-duck-breast-1
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 4 pieces boneless Long Island duck breast (6 to 8 ounces pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese Five-Spice powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed Hawaiian chili pepper
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Prick duck skin with a fork and allow to air dry in a cool environment over night. In a saucepan, heat remaining ingredients. Cool. Brush or rub duck with marinade. Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight. When ready to cook, wipe marinade off and score the fat. Sear the duck, skin side down, over medium heat until the fat is rendered. Finish in the oven if the duck breast is thick. Do not over cook the under side of the breast.
- Recipe hints from Rick Eggers: When rendering the fat, be sure the heat is medium, not too hot. You can pour off the liquid fat off as you go along. The fat rendering process took about 8 minutes in the home test but that can vary. Straying from the chef's directions, you can turn the breast pieces over and cook in the pan for about four more minutes but be careful not to toughen the meat.