- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/quick-vegan-black-bean-and-sweet-potato-chili
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons light or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (32 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 small fresh hot chilies, minced
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 2. Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat until golden. Add the bell pepper, beans, tomatoes, chilies, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender -- about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3. Season lightly with salt. If time allows, let stand off the heat for 1 or 2 hours, then heat through as needed.
- Embellish it: Pass a bowl of chopped fresh cilantro for sprinkling over the top of individual portions.
- 1. Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes on high until just firm, about 3 to 4 minutes per potato. When cool enough to handle, peel Make it a Meal:
- For an easy meal, serve this with purchased cornbread or other hearty whole-grain bread and a bountiful tossed salad.