- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/prawns-in-coconut-masala
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 30 medium prawns, shelled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk, stirred
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped green chilies
- 3 bunch green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- In a large frying pan, melt ghee on medium-high heat (or heat oil for 1 minute). Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for 30 seconds. Add onions and sauté 5 to 8 minutes, or until dark brown but not burned. Stir in tomatoes, coconut milk, vinegar, chilies and the remaining 1 tsp of salt. Cook for 5 minutes, or until tomatoes are cooked through. Add green onions and stir well. Add prawns, stirring constantly until they become pinkish-orange. This will take about 3 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat.
- To serve: Place 5 prawns on each of six small shallow plates. Top each serving with one-sixth of the coconut masala. Alternatively, divide the coconut masala evenly among six small shallow plates, then top with 5 prawns per plate.
- wine: A Pouilly-Fume or Sancerre wine is a great sipping wine with this masala.