- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Pork Loin With Strawberry-Morel Stuffing. This recipe by Vivian Ebert of Crockett, California was a finalist in the 1997 Oxnard, California Strawberry Festival's Berry Off cooking contest.
- 1 1/2 ounces dried morel mushrooms (get them in a gourmet shop or a well stocked grocery store)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup strawberries, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 to 3 1/2 pound center-cut boneless pork loin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 large fresh strawberries for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, soak morels in boiling hot water for 30 minutes. Transfer morels with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain. Pour morel soaking liquid through a strainer lined with a damp coffee filter or paper towel into a small saucepan and reduce to about 1/3 cup. Add 1/3 of the morels and set aside. Finely chop remaining morels.
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F.
- In a large skillet heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat and sautÃ© shallots and garlic until softened (about 5 minutes). Transfer mixture to a boil and stir in chopped , bread crumbs, strawberries, parsley and salt and pepper.morels.
- To make a hole for stuffing that runs through the center of the pork loin take a long thin sharp knife and make a lengthwise cut toward the center of the loin. Repeat the procedure starting from the opposite end of the loin. With the handle of a wooden spoon or your fingers, open up the incision to create a 1 1/2 inch wide opening. Working from both ends of the loin, push stuffing toward the center.
In a skillet heat remaining 1/2 tablspoon of olive oil over high heat until hot. Brown loin on all sides in the oil. Transfer pork loin to a roasting pan and roast in the middle of the oven for about an hour or until a meat thermometer reaches 160 degrees. Transfer loin to a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes. Add lime juice to roasting pan and deglaze over moderate heat. Add stock and reserved moel liquid with morels and simmer sauce for about 5 minutes. Slice pork loin and serve with sauce. Slice remaining strawberries and use for garnish.