- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Delightful little tarts with pineapple filling and a touch cross on the top.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups fresh pineapple - peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose, self-rising flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Pour in 1 beaten egg and water. Mix the ingredients together gently. Be sure not to knead too much. Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine pineapple and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes, or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut 24 rounds, using a 2 inch round fluted cutter. Place on cookie sheet. Put a spoonful of pineapple jam in the center of each piece. Decorate with criss-cross strips of pastry over jam, extending slightly onto pastry shell.
- Cut 24 more 2 inch rounds, then, using a smaller cutter, cut out the centers, creating a ring shape. Moisten the edges of each pastry, and place the rings on top of each pastry shell. Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.