- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Passover Jellyroll with Apricot Filling. Included with this recipe is apricot filling, but you can fill this versatile cake with any number of ingredients, just use your imagination to come up with new desserts.
- 4 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 3/4 cup extra fine sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 5 tablespoons potato starch
- pinch of salt
- Passover confectioner\'s sugar
- Apricot Filling:
- 12 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 3 strips orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons Passover orange liqueur or white wine
- 6 large whole apricots for garnish
- 1 ounce semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon confectioner\'s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350Â° F. Grease a 10 by 15-inch jellyroll pan. Line with parchment paper, allow ends to overhang 1 inch.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat one whole egg and 3 yolks until thick and color lightens. Gradually add all but 2 tablespoons sugar, the lemon juice and zest. Sift potato starch over mixture and incorporate with a rubber scraper.
- In another large clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat 3 egg whites until foamy on medium low speed. Add a pinch of salt, gradually increase speed, add 2 T sugar, beat until shiny and stiff. Fold whites into yolk mixture in three additions. Spread the batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes. Cake will spring back when lightly touched.
- Spread a towel on the counter and lightly and sift with Passover confectioner\'s sugar. Turn cake onto towel, remove paper, gently roll up cake in towel and cool. May be chilled to fill later. Fill with purchased Passover pudding or apricot filling. Dust with Passover confectioner\'s sugar. Garnish with chocolate dipped apricots.
- Apricot Filling (Pareve, low cholesterol) In a medium pan, combine diced apricots, water, lemon juice and orange zest. Bring to a simmer, cover. Cook 20 minutes until water is reduced to half and apricots are soft. Stir in sugar, cook on low, uncovered to thicken mixture and evaporate liquid.