- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Pan Grilled Tomatoes. Most of us use tomatoes raw in salads or as a cooking ingredient. In this recipe, they get the chance to really shine.
- 1 1/2 pounds firm fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (see note for options)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Variations: Omit chili powder and add 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning OR 1/2 teaspoon curry powder and 1 teaspoon cumin OR 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro.
Core tomatoes and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- In a pie plate, combine bread crumbs, green onion, salt and chili powder.
- In a shallow bowl place milk. Dip tomato slices in milk and coat both sides with bread crumb mixture, shaking off excess. In a large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until hot. Add tomato slices, a few at a time; cook over medium heat until golden, 2 to 4 minutes on each side, adding remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil half way through cooking all of the tomatoes.
- If desired, serve as an accompaniment to meat, fish, poultry or over arugula drizzled with balsamic vinegar or on toasted Italian bread.