- Recipe created by FabFood on Feb 23, 2011
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/orange-scented-beignets
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Mardi Gras recipe for Orange-Scented Beignets. Beignets, a New Orleans specialty, are the perfect “Fat Tuesday” indulgence. Whether hosting a Mardi Gras party on March 8th or celebrating in The Big Easy, Borgata Hotel Casino’s Executive Pastry Chef is eag
- 1/4 cup yeast – fresh
- 1 cup water (warmed to 100 degrees F)
- 1 cup Milk
- 8 cups AP flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup eggs, fresh
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, fresh
- 1 tablespoon orange flower water (orange liqueur may be substituted)
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying, like canola
- 1 pound powdered sugar for dredging
- Crumble yeast into water and whisk in the mixing bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix for 8 minutes with the hook.
- Remove from the mixer and place dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm place and let rest for one hour. Dough should nearly double in size.
- Tip dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll to 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut into 2 inch squares and place squares onto a plate.
- Have oil preheated to 330 fusing a fat thermometer. When oil has reached 330 f gently release square pieces of beignet dough into the heated oil and begin frying. Let brown first side before turning over with tongs. Brown second side. Whole frying process should take about 1 – 1.5 minutes.
- When done frying, remove beignets from oil and place onto a draining pan lined with paper towels for just a few seconds.
- Roll or gently toss into powdered sugar and completely dredge fried beignets in the sugar.