- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/oeufes-en-meurette-poached-eggs-in-red-wine-salad
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 3 cups red wine, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces thick, meaty bacon, chopped
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 6 eggs
- 6 cups mixed salad greens of choice
- 6 slices goat cheese
- Arrange mixed salad greens on 6 chilled salad plates, set aside.
- Add 2 cups red wine to a medium pot and stir in sugar and bacon. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer and cook until bacon is cooked - about 20 minutes. Drain bacon, discard liquid or reserve for another use (salad dressings or wood chip soaking liquid for smoking meats perhaps?) and cool. Divide bacon among the 6 plates of greens.
- In a large pot bring remaining 1 cup red wine, 1 cup balsamic vinegar and 2 cups water to a boil. When boiling, carefully crack eggs and slide them into the liquid. Lower heat to a simmer and poach until egg whites are set but yolks are still soft in the middle, about 3 minutes.
- Carefully remove eggs from the liquid and place 1 poached egg on top of each salad plate. Garnish each plate with a slice of goat cheese and serve.