- Recipe created by FabFood on Oct 22, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/nava-atlas-s-vegan-seitan-gyros
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces seitan, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large cucumber, peeled
- 1/3 cup vegan ranch or creamy dill dressing, or more as needed
- 8 pita breads (preferably whole grain), regular or pocketless
- 1 1/2 cups thinly shredded dark green lettuce
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced, or more as needed
- Makes 8 Servings (1 Gyro Each)
- 1. Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until both are just beginning to turn golden.
- 2. Add the seitan, oregano, and cumin. Raise the heat to medium and continue to sauté until the seitan is golden and crisp on most sides, then remove from the heat.
- 3. Quarter the cucumber lengthwise, cut away seeds if watery, and slice. In a small bowl, stir together the cucumber and dressing.
- 4. To assemble, place 1 or 2 pitas on individual serving plates. Arrange a little lettuce over each pita, followed by the seitan, and the cucumber mixture. Arrange 3 slices or so of tomato down the center of each. Have everyone fold the pitas and eat out of hand.
- Per Gyro: 371 calories; 5g total fat; 22g protein; 64g carbohydrates; 7g fiber; 670mg sodium.