- Recipe created by FabFood on Apr 20, 2009
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/nava-atlas-curried-red-lentil-soup-with-sweet-potatoes-and-greens
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 to 8 ounces Swiss chard or spinach
- juice of 1 lemon or lime
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the water, followed by the lentils, sweet potatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently until the lentils are mushy and the potatoes are done, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the greens, remove stems and midribs, then slice into narrow shreds. Stir intot hr soup along with the lemon juice. If the soup is too thick, adjust the consistency with a small amount of water.
- Continue to simmer gently until the greens are just done, about 5 minutes for spinach and 10 tp 15 minutes for chard. Season with salt. Serve at once, or if time allows, let the soup stand off the heat for an hour or two. Heat before serving.
- Per Serving:
- 290 Calories; 5g Total Fat; 13g Protein; 10g Fiber; 50g Carbohydrate; 0 mg Cholesterol; 94 mg Sodium.