- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
Recipe for Mushroom Turkey Gravy. Earthy mushrooms bring new depths of flavor to traditional turkey giblet gravy in this Thanksgiving worthy recipe.
- reserved neck, heart, and gizzard from the turkey giblets package
- 1 medium carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced
- 1 medium celery rib, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 turkey liver (also found in giblets package)
- 3 tablespoons fat from poultry drippings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced (any variety that pleases you)
- Makes About 3 Cups
- Melt butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they are tender and all liquid has evaporated, about 3-4 minutes. Cover and set aside. NOTE: This step can be done in advance to make preparation time easier, in which case, cover the mushrooms and keep them in the refrigerator.
- To make the gravy, remove the cooked turkey and roasting rack from the roasting pan. Pour the poultry drippings through a sieve into a 4-cup measuring cup.
- Add 1 cup giblet broth to the roasting pan and stir until crusty brown bits are loosened: pour the deglazed liquid/broth into the 4-cup measure. Let the mixture stand a few minutes until the fat rises to the top.
- Over medium heat, spoon 3 tablespoons fat from the poultry drippings into a 2 quart or larger saucepan. Whisk flour and salt into heated fat and continue to cook and stir until the flour turns golden.
- In a three quart saucepan over high heat, place neck, heart, gizzard, vegetables, and salt in enough water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add liver and cook 15 minutes longer. Strain broth
Meanwhile, skim and discard any fat that remains on top of the poultry drippings. Add remaining broth and enough water to the poultry drippings to equal 3 1/2 cups. Gradually Whisk in warm poultry drippings/broth mixture. Cook and stir until gravy boils and is slightly thick. Stir the pre-cooked mushrooms into cooked gravy, reheat to simmering and serve.