- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mollie-katzen-s-polenta-waffles-with-berries
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup polenta (cornmeal)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (rounded measure)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons (half a stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups berries (any kind)
- nonstick cooking spray
- butter for the waffle iron
- PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes 1. Preheat the waffle iron.
- 2. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- 3. Break the eggs into a second medium-sized bowl and beat with a whisk until frothy. Drizzle in the milk.
- 4. Add the egg-milk mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the melted butter and the berries. Mix with decisive strokes from the bottom of the bowl until all the dry ingredients have been moistened. Try not to over-mix, and also try to avoid breaking the berries. You'll break some anyway, but just do your best.
- 5. Lightly spray the hot waffle iron on both the top and bottom surfaces with nonstick spray, and rub on a little butter. (This is most easily accomplished by generously buttering a chunk of bread and using it as an edible utensil to butter the waffle iron.) Add just enough batter to cover the cooking surface--approximately 1/2 cup for a standard waffle (1 cup for a Belgian waffle).
- 6. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on your waffle iron. Don't overbake-- you want it crisp and brown but not too dark. It's okay to peek.
- 7. Serve hot with your chosen toppings.