- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mollie-katzen-s-fried-green-tomatoes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 2 large unripe tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1/3 cup cornmeal or polenta (rounded measure)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray and a little butter for the pan
- Optional Toppings:
- coarse salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream
- PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes, plus 20 minutes to cook 1. Core the tomatoes, and thinly slice off the ends. Cut the tomatoes into half- inch-thick slices (you'll get about 3 or 4 slices per tomato) and set aside.
- 2. Combine the cornmeal and salt on a dinner plate. Mix until uniformly blended.
- 3. Dredge the tomato slices in the cornmeal mixture, pressing it into the cut surfaces of the tomatoes to create a thick coating.
- 4. Place a large skillet or sauté pan over medium heat for several minutes. Spray the hot pan with nonstick spray, and melt in a little butter. After a few seconds, tilt the pan to distribute the butter, then add the coated tomatoes.
- 5. Fry the tomatoes on each side for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden. You might need to add a little more butter at some point to keep them from sticking.
- 6. Remove the tomatoes from the pan, and transfer them to a wire rack over a tray to cool. (This retains their crispy texture.) Wait at least 5 minutes before serving, as the insides of the tomatoes will have become very hot and will need to cool down a little.
- 7. Serve warm, and pass some coarse salt, a pepper mill, and if you like, some sour cream to spoon on top.