- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mollie-katzen-s-fried-green-tomato-pillows
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large unripe tomatoes (about 1 pound) cut into 1/2" slices
- a little oil or butter for the pan
- Optional Garnish:
- sour cream or plain yogurt
- In a separate bowl, beat together the milk and eggs until frothy. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the milk/egg mixture into this well. Stir until thoroughly combined, but don't overmix.
- Core the tomatoes and cut them into 1/2" rounds. Meanwhile begin heating a little oil or melting a little butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tomato slices to the batter one by one, pushing them around gently with a spoon until they are well coated. Lift them from the batter with the spoon, and add them to the hot skillet. (You might need to spoon a little extra batter on top of each tomato, so no bald spots are peeking through.)
- Fry on both sides until crispy and golden. Serve hot, topped with sour cream or plain yogurt, if desired.