- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mollie-katzen-s-american-potato-cutlets
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, mashed russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely minced scallion
- 1 hard-boiled egg, minced or grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- a little butter (optional)
- PREPARATION TIME: about 30 minutes 1. Place the mashed potatoes in a medium-sized bowl. Add the mustard, dill, garlic, scallion, hard-boiled egg, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is thoroughly blended.
- 2. Break the egg onto a dinner plate, and beat it with a fork until smooth. Place the bread crumbs on another plate.
- 3. Use your hands (wet them if you like, for easier handling) to form the mixture into 3-inch patties, using about 1/4 cup for each.
- 4. Carefully dip both sides of each patty in egg and dredge them lightly in the bread crumbs to coat on all sides.
- 5. Place a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. After a minute or two, add the olive oil, wait for about 10 seconds, then swirl to coat the pan. If you like, you can also melt in some butter.
- 6. When the pan is hot enough to sizzle a bread crumb, fry the cutlets about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and crisp. Remove the cutlets from the pan, and transfer them to a wire rack over a tray to cool. (This retains their crispy texture.)
- 7. Serve hot or warm, with any of the suggested toppings.
- Variation: broccoli-Potato Cutlets: Follow the main recipe with these adjustments. Add to the potato mixture: 1 1/2 cups finely minced broccoli (florets and peeled stems) For a touch of color, replace the scallion with 1/2 cup finely minced red onion.