- Recipe created by FabFood on Nov 10, 2010
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/minestrone-with-chicken-and-basil-pesto
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
This Minestrone with Chicken and Basil Pesto soup makes a perfect supper on a chilly winter evening. The basil pesto gives this Minestrone soup an extra kick of flavor.
- 3-pounds shredded or chopped chicken meat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package frozen carrots
- 1 package frozen zucchini
- 1 teaspoon frozen green or red bell pepper (your choice)
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 can of cannellini beans or navy beans
- 1/2 cup small pasta, such as macaroni or shell
- 1, 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 box (about 1 1/2-pounds) or 2, 10-ounce cans chicken broth
- Dried parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon bottled or frozen pesto sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in deep skillet and fry onions until clear. Add garlic and cook a few minutes. Add carrots, zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, beans, chicken, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Add pasta toward end of hour, and allow to soften.
- Add spinach and one tablespoon of basil pesto and dried parsley, allow to cook another 10 minutes.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.