- Recipe created by FabFood on Jul 23, 2007
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mashed-potato-spiders-halloween-recipes
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
Recipe for Creepy Idaho Potato Critters For Halloween - Pink Spiders. The Idaho Potato Commission shared this clever Halloween potato recipe with us.
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- red liquid food coloring
- blue liquid food coloring
- 32 fresh string beans
- various vegetables to decorate
- Prepare mashed potatoes using your favorite recipe, or click here for ours.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add red food coloring to the potatoes and stir to combine; add a few drops of blue food coloring to the potatoes and stir again to mix the colors, adding more coloring to achieve the desired shade of pink.
- Using clean, damp hands, form 4 small potato balls (each about 1-inch in diameter); place each small ball on a microwave-safe plate to form the spiders' heads. Form the remaining potatoes into four equal balls; place them on the plates to form the spiders' bodies. Insert 4 green beans into each side of the spider bodies for the legs.
- To finish, decorate each spider with the vegetables of your choice. To achieve our look, make rows of black olive slices along the top and use slivers of roasted red peppers on the sides. Make spots all over the bodies with frozen peas (thawed) and insert trimmed scallions for antennae. Sprinkle the spiders' bodies with coarsely ground black pepper.
- Reheat the spiders in the microwave and serve.