- Recipe created by FabFood on Dec 3, 2008
- Permalink: http://sheknows.com/recipes/mark-bittman-s-spicy-ketchup-braised-tofu
- View more recipes by FabFood.
- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: –
- 1/2 cup peanut oil or other neutral oil like grapeseed or corn
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds firm or extra-firm tofu, cut into 8 slices and squeezed tightly in order to remove excess water
- all-purpose flour for dredging
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- cayenne to taste
- freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
- Time: 20 Minutes
- 1. Put about 1/3 cup of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, dredge the tofu slices lightly in the flour and add them, one at a time, to the skillet. Do not crowd: you may have to cook in batches. Sprinkle the tofu with salt and pepper as it cooks. As the pieces brown, turn them and brown on the other side; total cooking time per piece will be 4 to 6 minutes. When the pieces are done, transfer them to a plate. Wipe out the skillet.
- 2. Add the remaining oil to the skillet over medium heat; immediately add the minced garlic. Cook for a minute or two, until fragrant but not colored, then add the ketchup and some cayenne (start with about 1/4 teaspoon). Cook, stirring, fr about 5 minutes, until the sauce bubbles, thickens, and starts to caramelize around the edges of the pan. Taste and add salt, pepper or cayenne as necessary.
- 3. Return the tofu to the sauce and turn until evenly coated; add lemon juice to taste, stir, and serve.